Thursday 19 May 2011

Surprise surprise!

I wasn't expecting much in the way of recently arrived migrant birds today and was wandering fairly idly around the farm looking for orchids. I'd just found some nice Southern Marsh Orchids when I heard the unmistakeable fluty tones of a Golden Oriole coming from a thick patch of tall willows. It went on for several minutes, so I sneaked around the side and sat myself down at the edge of the bushes. It was quiet for a while, then suddenly the bird was singing almost above my head! For such a dazzlingly bright bird, they are devilishly hard to see in the canopy. This one was no exception and it refused to reveal itself. Nevertheless, a very exciting moment and a great record of this scarce migrant - our second in two years!

So, no oriole photos, but a few pretty flowers and some happy single-parent families:


Southern Marsh Orchid




Bugle




Heath Spotted Orchid




Petty Whin




Hereford mums and kids

2 comments:

  1. I found a few orchids a St Gothian today, as I am hopeless at wild flowers I didn't photograph them. Seeing your images makes me think I should have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go for it - they're easier than birds!

    ReplyDelete